Tuesday, October 23, 2007

So, who wants to cut me a break?

When I read that seven out of ten people find their jobs thorugh networking I had to read it over, the last I heard it was nine. This whole job search can be a very intimidating process, and the beginning can be the worst part. Where do we even begin? Between classes and an internship, I have found it very frustrating to make time to start looking for connections.

Enter Linkedin.com. I joined this sight a couple of weeks ago at the request of my internship coordinator. I asked my bosses if they were on to which I was answered with raised eyebrows as if to ask, "Yeah, you're not?!?!" So now I'm on and my network has grown since I signed up. Nothing has come from the site itself but some personal networking did a lead to a phone interview. So apparentely this is the new way to go. As ABC News put it: Out with the business lunch and in with the email. I know that the networking tactic has been working for me. There doesn't seem to be a good chance of getting a job otherwise. From experience I have seen this to be true.

Last semester I was abroad and thought I would be sneeky and start sending in resumes in December for an internship in June. Guess how many emails I got back. (That would be none.) But now I have interviews set up through my contacts so wish me luck. I still don't like the idea of needing a contact to get someone to pay attention to me, altough I understand the reasoning behind it. What is yet to be discovered is if I will be able to land something that is as interesting as the jobs I applied for.

1 comment:

Sir William McDoogavich said...

LinkedIn is a great networking site. Funny enough, when I created my account, I learned that both of my parents were on! Now I have expanded my network and all it took was a click of a button... a lot easier than making cold calls!