Saturday, November 10, 2007

Join Facebook, Make My Day

When reading "How the Web Polarized Politics" I have realized what a huge impact the Web is going to have on potential candidates this election. Gerry McGovern, an author focusing on this exact topic, points out that those who will be looking out for candidates on the internet are "waiting for them to slip up".

McGovern could not have said it any better. A particular blog entry, "How Facebook Will Change Politics", written by Sunny caught my eye. The blog points out that while the Internet has the opportunity to bring us together politically, it does a better job of polarizing us. Candidates have, hopefully, figured this out by now. So being the tricky little devils that they are they will probably try to utilize that medium as much as possible.

I would caution for them to watch out. If I see these suckers on Facebook I'm going to stalk them as much as I do everyone else. (Don't roll your eyes, you know you do it too.) These people better hire some people who know what's going on in the Web, which I know they can afford to do. Because like McGovern said, I am just waiting for the next UTube video or dumb statement to come out so I can use it as one more reason to vote for the person that I dislike the least.

I assume that using social networks on the Web would want to target college age people if they are using mediums such as Facebook and with programs such as Rock the Vote encouraging us to vote, candidates have to understand that we won't be so easily convinced. I guess what Big Brother didn't anticipate is that we would be watching "him" right back. We are a passionate age group and chances are we are online so the best strategy for potential candidates this year would be treat your PR online as you would any where else because it will come back to haunt you faster than ever imagined. (I know I still remember Howard's Dean battle cry from back in the day...)

2 comments:

Joe Khedouri said...

You're right, its almost like we're at a point where we are waiting for them publish their views on the internet somewhere. We are so programed to check the usual sites and look for updates. It is a powerful medium and they better proceed with caution, as you said.

Map Finder said...

I agree. I think that the internet is a much easier way to quickly analyze the current events and history associated with individual persons, not just politicans. Analyzing someones history, or their by-the-minute statements is a great way to look for flaws or mistakes in what they're saying/what they've done. I think that it's becoming too difficult for politicians to even move. In a sense, being able to check in on them at all times keeps them on their toes, but paranoia should not have to ensue. Everyone makes mistakes. Can people honestly expect them to always be perfect? Maybe with such a huge staff, they're expected to always display flawless performances, but I don't expect anyone to always act perfectly.